The history of St. Andrews is crowded with incidents which punctuate the cavalcade of Scottish history, and the growth of Scottish institutions and culture, with the names of famous prelates, martyrs and reformers and their deeds to be found in all quarters of the town.
Of the many historical buildings of St. Andrews, first to be noted must be the Cathedral, which founded in 1160 and then consecrated in 1318, was by far the largest church in Scotland before its destruction at the reformation. The adjoining Priory was similarly the most important monastic foundation of its time. The Castle, founded in 1200 as a fortress and home of the Bishop of St. Andrews, possess the unusual feature of a bottle dungeon. From the Castle, Archbishop Beaton watched George Wishart burn at the stake, himself to perish at the hands of an assassin soon afterwards.